69 Tips on How to Be Pretty and Beautiful with/without Makeup
A bath fragrance with oil or herbs, traces of your scent wherever you go, pretty nails and glossy hair. Our head-to-toe guide shows you ways to be pretty and feel beautiful.
Cover up for your imperfections
While everyone appears to be pretty from the outside, the reason most girls look so flawless is because they use makeup to cover up for their imperfections.
- Loose powder leaves a residue in eyebrows. Use a brush to remove excess then contour the brow.
- If you put a little scent onto your third finger and run it across each brow you will keep them looking sleek. Smells sweeter too.
- Dark brows look harsh if your hair is fair. Lighten them with a cream facial bleach. Effectiveness depends on time the bleach stays on.
- Pluck stray hairs out every three or four days. Don’t wait until brows look shaggy. Choose sharp, slanted tweezers that will pick up hair easily. Soothe with skin tonic.
- Mascara clogs lashes but you can avoid this if you use a special lash comb when the mascara is almost dry to separate them. Open your mouth when making-up eyes, you won’t blink.
- Always carry a hand mirror for spot checks. Temperature changes can cause makeup to wilt and you may not find a mirror when you need one most.
- Lip gloss is not known for its staying power. But for a special moment, such as having a photograph taken, it gives a polished finish.
- If you blend your moisturizer with your base makeup (equal amounts of each) you will achieve a soft even coloring across the skin. You can still cover blemishes if you use a concealer stick under base makeup.
- Always use a translucent loose powder for the smoothest finish. It will ensure a makeup lasts up to seven hours. Take a cotton wool ball and dust upwards to remove excess.
- Your eye pencil will slide more easily if you warm it on a lamp bulb. This favorite trick of top makeup artists helps to achieve a soft, smudged look. Use immediately for the best results around your eyes.
Be pretty from the inside out
There are a lot of benefits to staying fit and healthy. The most important thing is that you’ll have more energy, you’ll feel great, and you’ll notice improvements from the inside out.
- Consider your body as a motor car. Rev it up each day with a bout of exercise. Skipping or running will leave you feeling sharper.
- Not everybody needs eight hours sleep each night but it is a fair guide. Sleep is one of your three basic beauty needs, along with a good diet and plenty of exercise.
- If you feel low on energy, check that you are eating a balanced diet such as the cardiac diet. Consider a course of multi-vitamin pills. The B-complex vitamins help the body deal with stress.
- Consider the sun as your free beauty bonus. It’s your best source of vitamin D, which is vital for healthy skin, teeth and bones.
- Check your posture. If it is bad, you’ll feel sluggish. Imagine a line running from ears to shoulders, hips, knees, middle of your feet. Now you are standing perfectly.
- This breathing exercise is a quick cure for fatigue. Sit cross-legged and hang your head. Breathe in deeply, filling the bottom of your lungs. Now exhale slowly. Repeat the action for five minutes.
- Staving off hunger pangs with sweets and biscuits just creates a vicious circle. The sugar they contain satisfies you at first but the effect soon wears off, leaving you craving more food. Don’t turn your nose up at raw carrots, celery or fruit. They are great natural beauty foods.
- Sparkling mineral water is your best drink if you are watching your weight. Delicious with a lice of lemon.
- Your calorie needs vary according to daily physical activities but most women will lose weight on 500 or 1500 calories a day. Carry a pocket counter with you to check calorie values of everything you eat.
Follow beauty treatments that make you look prettier
You can look your most beautiful with these quick and simple beauty treatments.
- Facial toner in a spray is a boon. Use it as a toner on cleansed skin before moisturizing, as a pick-up or in a short burst to set makeup.
- Transfer your usual toner into a plant spray, available from florists. The sensation when the toner hits the skin is tingling sharp.
- Use your moisturizing cream around the back of the neck, too. Or try a hand cream if you prefer to use expensive face cream sparingly.
- Lips can become sore and chapped at any time of the year. Wear a protecting salve at all times, including under lipstick or gloss.
- Don’t dismiss face masks as time-consuming or messy. You will find it more effective if you apply before your bath or shower. The steam will help the mask penetrate.
- Most women prefer to wash their faces with soap or at least splash with cool water after a thorough cleansing. Take a soft towel and pat very gently against the skin.
- Don’t be misled about the sun’s burning rays. Even on cloudy days they are still strong, so it is vital to use a sunblock each morning.
- Body skin dries out just as facial skin so if you bare your legs this summer, a daily application of cream will smooth away rough skin.
- Sloughing body skin with a loofah removes dead, flaky surface cells and brings a warm, healthy glow.
- If you find your nail polish tends to chip easily, don’t keep redoing it but touch up the tips to help preserve the nail’s strength.
- If you wear more than one ring you can develop tiny skin calluses. Avoid them by swapping rings around. Massage in hand cream. A pumice stone will leave the skin soft.
Enhance your natural beauty and looks
All flowers are beautiful in their own way and that’s like women too. Add these simple tips to your beauty routine and get that glow you’ve always wanted.
- Short nails will look their best if they are painted a soft, natural color. Choose lots of bracelets rather than rings to take attention away from your fingers to your wrists. Ruffled cuffs have the same effect.
- Nails get forgotten in winter but with warmer weather coming you should think about painting them. Never use clashing colors on toes and fingers.
- If you have naturally well-shaped fingernails, they will look fabulous just buffed. You should use the buff against the grain of the nail for healthy shine.
- Instant hair help is at hand with ribbons, combs, scarves. Never tie back your hair with a rubber band, it will tear and split the ends. Choose covered “elastic” bands.
- Hair that lacks body will improve instantly with a conditioning mousse. Give it seconds to dry then brush hair into shape.
- Hairspray will be less visible if you first spray it on to your hair brush. Repeat the spray and brush action about three times each.
- A warm almond or olive oil treatment still remains the best solution for dry, over-bleached hair. Use your fingertips to massage in, leave five minutes and wash.
- Brushing is good for your hair but only when done correctly. The old-fashioned 100 strokes is unkind to hair but 25 strokes each day will improve its overall condition.
- Use your favorite scent all round, wearing scent is an art. Put essence in your bath, keep empty scent bottles in your wardrobe, carry an atomizer in your bag.
- Badly fitting shoes mean bad posture. Check yours by drawing an outline of your bare foot (no socks). If the outline is larger than the shoe sole, shoes are too small.
- A carefully acquired tan makes you look and feel better. Tan in a solarium if you want to start before heading for the beach.
- Best summer makeup to flatter a tan will have strong hints of bronze and gold colors.
- Your smile is one of your best beauty assets. You should floss away plaque between the teeth and use an antiseptic mouthwash.
- Choose easy-care fabrics. Nothing looks worse than nasty wrinkles. Pure fabrics always seem to crease more easily than a mix containing some man-made fibers.
- A splash of eye drops is to red and tired eyes what a brisk shower is to your body.
- Invest in a really good haircut, long hair can look flat and lack bounce. Subtle layering makes a big difference and shorter hair is easier to wash and care for.
Keep calm and feel better
Go ahead and pamper yourself in any way you can imagine!
- If you are nervous or under stress, try drinking herbal tea in place of your usual tea or coffee. Mint and Chamomile are very soothing.
- Many people find exercise quells hunger pangs altogether. Even if this does not happen, you will feel more calm and relaxed.
- A relaxing bubble bath is a delicious bonus. Not only do you get peace and quiet, you can toss in a handful of herbs or bath oil and emerge glowing.
- One of the best beauty tips is to relax whenever the opportunity arises. When you do relax make sure that your limbs are free to stretch and take full advantage of your resting period.
- Tell yourself you’ll look terrific, make new summer resolutions. Remember a change shows you care about your skin and hair.
Learn how to be prettier with tried-and-true tricks
You’ve shared some amazing beauty tips and secrets with us. We’d love to know your tried-and-true tricks — please share in the comments! Here are some of the best.
- A touch of white vaseline to the eyelids after powdering will add allure to your eyes.
- Keep your chin up. Don’t let it sag. Physically it strengthens the muscles, keeps them young and prevents double chins.
- If you are going to wear shorts, and you have uneven pigmentation or spider veins, or you have been a good girl and stayed out of the sun to keep you from aging, you will find leg makeup very flattering to your legs. There are many leg makeups on the market all you have to do is find the one that goes on smoothly and evenly without streaking.
- You can use the same leg makeup for shading your ankles and calves. It looks lovely under stockings. There are various ways of shading. To get the best results, when you buy leg makeup, ask how to apply it for your legs.
- You can show a prettier leg by using colored foundation lotion (one shade darker than your skin) under your sheerest and palest nylons. The translucent effect is very fetching.
- Be sure your stockings never bag at the knee. If need be, change brands until you get perfect fit.
- Never wear garters. Anything tight around the leg can make spider veins.
- Avoid wearing leg decorations such as an ankle bracelet with rhinestones.
- The size of your heel should always be in balance with the length of your dress. If you have a small budget, stick to basic (plain and simple) colors and styles in your shoe wardrobe. This way you will be able to go along with the trend.
- Don’t wear scuffed shoes or worn-down heels. You’d be surprised how many people look at your feet.
- Ankle socks are much more attractive than bobby socks or bare feet with slacks.
- Feet can be made to look prettier if you treat them as kindly as your hands. Any good hand-cream used regularly will improve the skin of your feet.
- Cleanliness is the key to beauty. Always clean your face and neck thoroughly before making up during the day and before bed at night. Use a soft cleaning cream and then revive skin pores with a cooling astringent. Wash with warm water and out with cold.
- Foundation is the base of good makeup. Use a cream or liquid foundation, whichever suits your skin, but make sure it is greasy for a dry face and non greasy for an oily face. Apply it evenly with a small wad of cotton wool.
- Face powder must be applied smoothly and with care. A new idea is to accentuate the good features with a lighter tone and to soften the not-so-good features with a darker tone, but always make sure you use a clean powder puff.
- The neck must not be neglected. Nothing is worse than makeup which ends abruptly at the chin. Extend your foundation cream as well as your powder to cover the neck and do not neglect it when massaging your face. It can easily spoil the whole effect if not looked after.
- Eyes should be emphasized, especially at night, when the lights are harsher; but this is one thing that must not be overdone. Apply mascara-black for the dark-haired and brown for the fair lightly on the top lashes only, thus centering the interest. Keep the eyebrows well-groomed and plucked if thick or heavy. Use a touch of eyebrow pencil if they are very fair.
- The lips are important and should be carefully outlined and painted – not too thickly. Choose your lipstick colors to match your frock and your nail polish, and experiment and blend two colors together to get the perfect result. Use a darker shade during the winter at night and a lighter shade during the day or in summer.