Making the most of ourselves enhances our self-esteem, and a healthy, cared-for body and glowing skin creates pleasant impression. There are many natural and inexpensive ways in which you can achieve this, and the following recipes are an easy way to start your natural skincare regime.
1. Rose Cleansing Oil: mix 1 cup of olive oil, 1 tbsp avocado oil, ½ cup apricot kernel oil and ½ cup jojoba oil and ¼ teaspoon of essential oil of rose. Pour into a screw-top jar and shake vigorously. Refrigerate.
Pour oil on cotton wool and gently apply to face and neck until clean, using an outward and upward movement. Remove oily residue with an alcohol-free toning lotion or witch-hazel.
2. Toning Lotion: dissolve 25 drops of either rosemary, thyme or lavender oil in 20ml of cider vinegar and then add this mixture to 150ml of distilled water. Store in a glass bottle with a tight fitting lid.
Pour a little of the toner on to damp cotton wool, and use the same upward and outward movement as you did with cleanser.
3. Avocado Face and Neck Moisturizer: avocado oil is an excellent moisturizer to use under makeup, particularly in drying winds. Fresh avocado on the face and neck is especially nourishing for the skin.
Mash the pulp of half an avocado. Spread the pulp on the face and neck and lie down and relax for about 20 minutes.
Remove with tissues, then dampened cotton wool.
4. Strawberries can be used after cleansing and toning. Cut up and mash into a pulp enough fresh strawberries to spread all over the face and neck, leaving the eye area. Lie down for 20 minutes. For an extra benefit, soak balls of cotton wool in a cold tea made from crushed fennel seeds and put them on your eyelids.
Rinse off with warm water, then splash with cold water.
5. Fennel Anti-wrinkle Mask: Mix finely chopped fennel with a little natural yogurt. Leave the mixture for an hour then apply for 15 minutes as a face mask. Avoid the eye area. Splash off with tepid water and gently pat dry.
Note: don’t talk or move your facial muscles while wearing the mask if you can help it, or it is less effective. Just rest quietly and relax.
6. Lavender and Lemon Eucalyptus Pimple Lotion: For teenagers, this antiseptic salve is ideal for those “spotty” times.
In a enamel pan place 20g lavender flowers, 20g lemon-scented eucalyptus leaves, 20g thyme, peel of half a ripe lemon and 200ml rainwater. Simmer gently, covered, for a few minutes. Cool, strain and store in a closed glass bottle in the refrigerator. Dab on troublesome spots as needed. Make a fresh batch each week.
Should I wash my face before applying skin creams and lotions at night?
Poise and a well cared-for look are among the greatest assets any woman can have, and their roots are in good grooming. If you are fresh and trim, you can be sure you look well. And poise is a natural result of self-confidence.
There’s no doubt that as you get older it’s necessary to spend more time and effort on beauty. Your skin requires more and more care, more diligent use of lubricants and toning preparations.
The nightly application of your favorite cream can’t be skipped because you’re tired. However, soap and water are still excellent aids to beauty. And before applying skin creams and lotions at night it’s a good idea to give yourself a soap facial.
Using warm water, generously spread a lather of soapsuds over your face. Let the soapsuds mask stay on while you relax comfortably in a chair for 10 minutes or so. Then rinse off thoroughly, first with warm water, then with cold.
Your skin will feel clean and tingly. Your pores will be cleansed of the dust and cosmetics that clog them during the day.